Bachelor of Arts in Ministry
You connect with youth naturally and you want to influence the next generation. Prepare yourself to have a long term impact in youth ministry.
“I know how to critically think through our ministry approach in a way that serves the youth in our region…”
Program at a Glance
What Makes This Program Different
Prairie’s Bachelor of Arts in Ministry (BAM) is designed to build your confidence to minister in any environment.
All four year programs at Prairie include study of the entire Bible. By completing 45 Bible & theology credits you will gain an in-depth knowledge of the Bible.
Students will be mentored by instructors who have been involved or are currently involved in youth ministry.
Our program is excellently suited for the second career person. We have many mature students that choose to study at Prairie at Prairie because of the thriving student family community and our family housing.
Our Students Say
Our graduates go on to:
• Lead youth ministries in large or small churches, schools and para-church organizations
• Plant churches
• Work in church educational programs
• Work as Worship Pastors
• Further study. Your degree lays the foundation for graduate studies in ministry, theological studies or divinity.
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible & Theology (45 credits)
BT 409 Word and World
NT 112 Reading the Gospels & Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
NT 351 Reading Hebrews to Revelation
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
OT 343 Reading the Psalms & Wisdom Literature
OT 453 Reading the Prophets
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
TH 210 The God of the Gospel
TH 313 Creation to New Creation
BT/NT/OT/ST/TH electives (9 credits)
Arts & Sciences (36 credits)
AS 400 Integrative Seminar
HF 111 Thinking & Writing
HF 231 History of Western Civilization I
HF 232 History of Western Civilization II
SC 230 History and Philosophy of Science
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
SS 210 Introduction to Psychology
SS 261 Leadership Foundations
SS 311 Lifespan Development
HF/SS electives (15 credits)
Youth (33 credits)
CM 250 Introduction to Counseling
CM 468 Youth Ministry Internship (12 credits)
YO 151 Introduction to Youth Ministry
YO 224 Creative Teaching Methods
YO 313 Youth Issues & Culture
YO 314 Youth Communications
YO 346 Exploring Styles & Philosophies of Youth Ministry
YO 460 Topics in Youth Ministry
General Electives (6 credits)
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
- Articulate a clear vision and philosophy that is rooted in scripture and relevant for reaching the lost teens in our world.
- Develop a personal God-centered dependence, faith and humility necessary for discipling teens.
- Be able to design and carry out an effective ministry to teens in an ever-changing world.
- Demonstrate a growing understanding in and practice of youth work competencies such as counseling, preaching/teaching, discipleship and administration.
- Reflect on the benefit of practical internship experiences and classroom education resulting in the development of deeper ministry competencies.
Program Tuition and Fees
Program Specific Costs:
Youth Ministry students are charged a $120 program fee. ($60 charged in the fall & winter semesters)
Dan has spent the last 31 years as a pastor, speaker, evangelist, counselor and college admissions director traveling the world in search of great coffee and interesting people! He is the Founder and President of Apprentice Ministries and… desires nothing more than to encourage students in middle school and high school to know they are worth more than they could ever imagine! Read More.