Worship Leading and Music
Bachelor of Arts in Ministry
You are a leader and you are musically gifted. Our program prepares you for a career in Worship Ministry.
“This was a great community that… walked alongside me as I prepared for a life of using my talents to honour and glorify God and make Him known among all nations.”
Program at a Glance
What Makes This Program Different
Students will find that their excellent classroom instruction will be enhanced by multiple opportunities to lead worship throughout their program.
Along with our remarkable teaching faculty we are thrilled to bring in several guest artists throughout the year to enhance your learning.
With 45 Bible & Theology credits you will build a strong biblical foundation to base your career on.
Worship Practicums will stretch the student as they plan, lead, and evaluate worship experience opportunities on campus and off campus.
Our Students Say
Our graduates go on to:
• Worship Coordinator / Leader / Pastor in church
• Worship leader for camp ministry.
• Associate work in a parachurch organization.
• Cross-cultural work with a mission organization.
• Seminary and Masters level education.
Worship Leading & Music Admissions Requirements
In order to be successful in the Worship Arts program, students must have raw musical talent. Please submit two video demos: two cover songs or songs that move you (with PDF chord chart). We don’t require a complex multi-camera edited film – a simple and clear video shot with any smartphone works well. Make sure your camera device is stable (preferably on a tripod or still surface) and close enough for good, non-distorted audio and clear video. The audition demos can be uploaded to YouTube, Dropbox, or e-mailed to Admissions.
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible and Theology Major (45 Credits)
BT 409 Word and World
NT 112 Reading the Gospels and Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
NT 351 Reading Hebrews to Revelation
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
OT 343 Reading the Psalms and Wisdom Literature
OT 453 Reading the Prophets
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
TH 210 God of the Gospel
TH 313 Creation to New Creation
Bible and Theology electives (9 credits)
Arts and Sciences Core (36 credits)
AS 400 Integrative Seminar
HF 111 Thinking and Writing
HF 231 History of Western Civilization I
HF 232 History of Western Civilization II
MU 255-458 Music Lessons (6 credits)
SC 230 History and Philosophy of Science
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
SS 210 Introduction to Psychology
SS 261 Leadership Foundations
Arts and Sciences electives (6 credits)
Worship Leading and Music Major (41 credits)
DM 103 Introduction to Media Arts (1 credit)
HF 151 How Music Works
MU 158 Music Lessons (1 credit)
MU 191-496 Performing Ensemble (8 credits)
WA 101 Introduction to Worship Leading (1 credit)
WA 120 Introduction to Songwriting (1 credit)
WA 123 The Language of Music 1 (1 credit)
WA 124 The Language of Music 2 (1 credit)
WA 224 Arranging Songs (2 credits)
WA 227 Recording and Producing (1 credit)
WA 228 The Language of Music and Writing (1 credit)
WA 229 The Language of Music and Charting (1 credits)
WA 232 How Musicians Work (2 credits)
WA 252 The Story of Worship
WA 254 Worship: Subjects and Objects
WA 320 Worship by Design
WA 341 Worship FX (2 credits)
WA 354 Worship as Christian Formation
WA 378 Worship Practicum
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the content, processes, and practices of music, musicianship, and a Christian worldview of the role of the arts in the world.
- Able to apply principles and practices of worship to a growing personal life.
- Increase in effective, artistic, and confident personal performance skills.
- Clearly demonstrate an ability to be a productive, supportive, and contributing member of a musical team.
- Understand and practice the scope and interrelatedness of corporate worship ministry components.
- Understand worship ministry as seeking to encourage growth in the Christian formation of congregants.
- Gain the ability to plan, produce, lead, and evaluate corporate worship experiences.
- Develop and articulate a philosophy of corporate worship.
Program Tuition and Fees
Program Specific Costs:
Worship Leading and Music students are charged a $600 program fee. ($300 charged in the fall & winter semesters)
Dr. Mark Jonah
I love working with students! I am committed to journeying with students in exploring and understanding the worship ministry of the local church. Music, history, technology, service planning, theology, spiritual formation, the Kingdom of God, pastoral implications, and discipleship are some of the facets of the jewel that is the worship of our triune God. It’s an exciting and worthy pursuit! Read More.