Bachelor of Arts in Ministry - Worship Leading and Music
Four-Year Program (123 Credits)
A four-year program that will continue your interest and training in worship leading. Classroom instruction joined with multiple opportunities to lead will demonstrate worship planning and leading is an art, not a science; and it includes music, but is not limited to music. Biblical studies will ground you in the worship of the Triune God. Music and Worship Arts faculty will lead and learn with you.
Courses revolve around:
- Worship pastor/leader at a local church
- Worship leader for camp ministry.
- Associate work in a parachurch organization.
- Cross-cultural work with a mission organization.
- Worship ministry program for a church or camp ministry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the content, processes, and practices of music, musicianship, and a Christian worldview of the role of the arts in the world.
- Able to apply principles and practices of worship to a growing personal life.
- Increase in effective, artistic, and confident personal performance skills.
- Clearly demonstrate an ability to be a productive, supportive, and contributing member of a musical team
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible and Theology Major (45 Credits)
BT 309 Word and World
NT 112 Reading the Gospels and Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
NT 251 Reading Hebrews to Revelation
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
OT 243 Reading the Psalms and Wisdom Literature
OT 353 Reading the Prophets
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
TH 210 God of the Gospel
TH 211 Creation to New Creation
Bible and Theology electives (9 credits)
Arts and Sciences Core (38 credits)
AS 400 Integrative Seminar
HF 111 Thinking and Writing
HF 151 How Music Works
HF 231 History of Western Civilization I
HF 232 History of Western Civilization II
MU 150 Group Vocal Lessons (1 credit)
MU 155-455 Music Lessons (7 credits)
SC 230 History and Philosophy of Science
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
SS 210 Introduction to Psychology
SS 261 Leadership Foundations
Arts and Sciences 300 level elective
Worship Leading and Music Major (40 credits)
DM 103 Introduction to Media Arts (1 credit)
MU 191 Performing Ensemble (6 credits)
WA 120 Introduction to Songwriting (1 credit)
WA 123 The Language of Music 1 (1 credit)
WA 124 The Language of Music 2 (1 credit)
WA 224 Arranging Songs (2 credits)
WA 227 Recording and Producing (1 credit)
WA 228 The Language of Music and Writing (1 credit)
WA 229 The Language of Music and Charting (2 credits)
WA 232 How Musicians Work
WA 252 The Story of Worship
WA 254 Worship: Subjects and Objects
WA 320 Worship by Design
WA 341 Worship FX
WA 354 Worship as Christian Formation
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
The Bachelor of Arts in Ministry in Worship Leading and Music prepares the student for entrance into graduate studies. For students completing the undergraduate degree at Prairie College, entrance is possible to other diploma and certificate programs in music and/or ministry specializations.
- Learn from visiting guest artists who have experience in worship leading.
- Participate in music and worship conferences.
- Regular opportunities for worship leading experience on campus for chapel and special events. Off campus opportunities include local area churches and camp ministries.
- Worship Practicums will stretch the student as they plan, lead, and evaluate worship experience opportunities on campus and off campus.
In order to be successful in the Worship Arts program, students must have raw musical talent. Please submit one video demo: a cover of a song or piece that moves you (with PDF chord chart). We don’t require a complex multi-camera edited film – a simple and clear video shot with an iPhone or any smartphone works well. Make sure your camera device is stable (preferably on a tripod or still surface) and close enough for good, non-distorted audio and clear video. The audition demos can be uploaded to YouTube, Dropbox, or e-mailed to Admissions.
Your experiences in worship services you’ve been part of will be the starting place for your growth in worship leading. I look forward to studying the art of worship service design and ministry with you. Let’s learn together!"