Diploma in Sports Management
Our Sports Management program is for people who have a passion for sport and a heart for serving their communities as leaders.
Program at a Glance
What Makes This Program Different
This program is for people who have a passion for sport and a heart for serving their communities as leaders, managers, and coaches. This program is for those bold enough to step up to confront destructive cultures and practices found in youth sport and beyond. This program is for those who want to know how they can contribute to building the Kingdom of God and fulfill the Great Commission by engaging with people through the vehicle of sport.
Students in the Diploma in Sports Management will develop leadership, entrepreneurial, and coaching skills while acquiring the knowledge and experience they need to become Christ-like leaders in the sport, recreation, and leisure industries.
Our Students Say
The opportunities for graduates are wide-ranging and incredibly diverse. Students wishing to continue in Sports Ministry may step into Chaplaincy roles within teams or organizations like Athletes in Action (amongst others). Our redesigned program will also include entrepreneurial skills that will allow our graduates to start a business within the leisure industry should that be where their heart is. Moreover, there is an ever-expanding range of leisure and recreation jobs with local government, NGOs, international development agencies, and others. Graduates of our program will be well positioned to take advantage of these opportunities.
• Recreation management in public, private or nonprofit sectors.
• Intercollegiate and professional sports leadership and management roles.
• Public Sport & Recreation Management (ex. Municipalities, Regional Districts, Sports Facilities)
• Commercial Outlets (ex. fitness centers, private sports complexes and retail)
• Start private fitness / leisure business
• Christian Youth Ministry (ex. Athletes in Action, Youth for Christ, Church Youth Ministries)
• Work for Boys’ and Girls’ Club or YMCA/YWCA
• Global Missions/International Sports Ministry
Program requirements are subject to change.
All courses are worth 3 credits unless otherwise indicated.
Bible and Theology Core (24 credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels and Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
NT 351 Reading Hebrews to Revelation OR OT 343 Reading Psalms and Wisdom Literature
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
TH 210 The God of the Gospel
Arts and Sciences Core (15 credits)
HF 111 Thinking and Writing
HF 231 History of Western Civilization I
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
SS 210 Introduction to Psychology
SS 261 Leadership Foundations
Sports Courses (21 credits)
BU 105 Organizational Health and Performance
BU 111 Financial Accounting
SP 141 Introduction to Sports Management and Leadership
SP 172 Theological Foundations of Sports and Leisure
SP 230 Sports Coaching and Performance
SP 243 Event Management and Advancement in Sports
SP 271 Foundations of Sports Ministry
*Certification Fees – Certifications and seminar options offered may vary from year to year. Additional fees will be charged to cover some certifications not covered by tuition. A separate list of fees will be provided.
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
- Disciple others within a context of sport/athletics.
- Practice a Christ centered life of physical wellness and help others to do the same.
- Think theologically about sport, recreation, and athletics so that Christian faith informs, challenges, and shapes your involvement in these areas.
- Develop specific job skills and experience required for entry into a career in the sport and recreation fields.
- Cultivate foundational sport industry knowledge integrated with Kingdom values and ethics.
- Improve ability to engage in sport as ministry.
- Grow coaching and leadership knowledge and abilities.
Program Tuition and Fees
Program Specific Costs:
Sports Management students are charged a $510 program fee. ($260 charged in the fall & $250 charged in the winter semester)
Dr. Saulo Neves de Oliveira
Saulo Neves de Oliveira is the primary instructor in the Sports Management and Leadership diploma and degree programs. He has experience as a top-tier athlete in the 1500m and 3K steeplechase. He has a Ph.D. in Education (Leisure and Aging) from the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS) and the University of Calgary, and a Master’s in Education from UFRGS. Saulo has taught in numerous physical education positions. He currently serves as Worship Arts pastor at the University Drive Alliance in Lethbridge, Alberta. He works hard at integrating faith not only into sport, but into all of life.