Diploma in Pastoral Ministry
2.5-Year Program (75 Credits)
Learn to serve God and others by providing pastoral service in a variety of contexts. Expand your biblical literacy, learn to reflect theologically on life and ministry, become conversant with a Christian worldview and make application of these into pastoral ministry in a culturally relevant manner. This diploma provides the ideal opportunity to discern if pastoral work is an appropriate life calling for you. If so, it opens the door to further training to prepare for a career of ministry.
You will benefit from instructors who have been involved in or are currently involved in pastoral ministry. This program is also available as a distance education program.
Courses revolve around:
- Effectively studying, understanding and interpreting scripture
- Understanding the principles for effective ministry
- Confidently applying practical skills as required in ministry settings
The Pastoral Diploma is:
- For those who would like to develop pastoral leadership skills for vocational ministry.
- Excellently suited for the second career person.
- For those who would like to explore the possibility of pastoral vocational ministry.
Prairie’s Pastoral BAM program will equip you to:
- Effectively study, understand and interpret all 66 books.
- Understand the principles for effective ministry in a variety of applications and situations.
- Realize the global mission of the Church and its implications for your life.
- Understand the importance of interpersonal relationships in the context of effective ministry.
- Confidently apply practical skills.
- Realize and develop your God-given gifts and passions for use in ministry to the glory of God and the benefit of others.
- Live a vibrant and discerning spiritual life in Christ.
- Demonstrate spiritual leadership and a well-managed life.
- Proclaim and teach God’s Word dynamically from a Christocentric framework.
- Exhibit passion for biblical and theological orthodoxy regarding pastoral ministry.
- Engage in intentional missional disciple-making.
Graduates of the diploma are eligible to apply for entry into degree completion of the Bachelor of Arts in Ministry: Pastoral at no additional tuition cost. This is a 45 credit hour tuition free scholarship with the following conditions:
- Must have a 3.0 GPA in the diploma program.
- Must have a positive review from the diploma internship.
- Must have completed all financial obligations of the diploma program.
- Must have denomination/congregation approval and support for contributing to the
- Must contribute through active participation in the SALT program.
- Must have character and competency affirmation by the pastoral program coordinator.
- Must have a positive psychological assessment.
- Must be enrolled and complete IPSAT with a coach. This includes Myers Briggs, Strengthsfinder,
- Leadership Skills Inventory, Spiritual Gifts Assessment and My Passion Profile.
- Must remain in positive standing with Prairie College: cannot be on academic probation,
- conduct probation or financial hold.
- Must be engaged in congregational ministry while enrolled in the degree program.
- Must successfully complete a Program Final Review.
- Must successfully complete a Graduation Interview.
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible and Theology Major (30 credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels and Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
NT 351 Reading Hebrews to Revelation
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
OT 343 Reading the Psalms and Wisdom Literature
OT 453 Reading the Prophets
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
TH 210 The God of the Gospel
Arts and Sciences Core (12 credits)
HF 111 Thinking and Writing
SS 210 Introduction to Psychology
SS 261 Leadership Foundations
SS 314 Social Psychology
Pastoral Ministry Major (33 credits)
CM 250 Introduction to Counselling
CM 464 Pastoral Ministry Internship (12 credits)
PA 103 Leadership Coaching
PA 161 Introduction to Pastoral Ministry
PA 211 Passionate Preaching and Teaching
PA 314 Advanced Preaching or YO 224 Creative Teaching Methods
PA 372 Missional Leadership
PA 480 Topics in Pastoral Ministry
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
Let me say this straight, there are hundreds of Churches that need men and women of God who are willing to submit to Christ like Servant hood. If you won’t answer the call, who will?"