Diploma in Pastoral Ministry
This 2 year program helps you discern if pastoral ministry is the right vocation for you. It opens the door to further training to prepare for a career of ministry.
“The pastoral program inspired me to believe that pastoral work is worth it. People matter, who they are in Christ matters, being a part of someone’s journey in knowing Christ more is a profound privilege.”
Program at a Glance
What Makes This Program Different
Learn to serve God and others by providing pastoral service in a variety of contexts. Expand your biblical literacy, learn to reflect theologically on life and ministry, become conversant with a Christian worldview and make application of these into pastoral ministry in a culturally relevant manner. This diploma provides the ideal opportunity to discern if pastoral work is an appropriate life calling for you. If so, it opens the door to further training to prepare for a career of ministry.
You will benefit from instructors who have been involved in or are currently involved in pastoral ministry. This program is also available as a distance education program.
Our Students Say
Our graduates go on to:
• Complete a Bachelor degree in Pastoral ministry or other majors at Prairie College.
• service as a church worker, church planter, church educational program leader, worship leader, pastor, youth worker, camp leader, and numerous other roles within a church or para-ministry setting.
Graduates of the diploma are eligible to apply for entry into degree completion of the Bachelor of Arts in Ministry: Pastoral at no additional tuition cost. This is a 45 credit hour tuition free scholarship. See the requirements to qualify in the drop down.
• Have a positive Internship review.
• Have completed all financial obligations.
• Have denomination/congregation approval and support for contributing to the scholarship.
• Contribute through active participation in the SALT program.
• Have character, competency, and call affirmation by the pastoral program coordinator and church.
• Have a positive psychological assessment.
• Be enrolled and complete IPSAT with a coach. This includes Myers Briggs, Strengthsfinder, Leadership Skills Inventory, Spiritual Gifts Assessment and My Passion Profile.
• Remain in positive standing with Prairie College: cannot be on academic probation, conduct probation or financial hold.
• Be engaged in congregational ministry while enrolled in the degree program.
• Successfully complete a Program Final Review.
• Successfully complete a Graduation Interview.
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible and Theology Major (30 credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels and Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
NT 351 Reading Hebrews to Revelation
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
OT 343 Reading the Psalms and Wisdom Literature
OT 453 Reading the Prophets
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
TH 210 The God of the Gospel
Arts and Sciences Core (12 credits)
HF 111 Thinking and Writing
SS 210 Introduction to Psychology
SS 261 Leadership Foundations
SS 314 Social Psychology
Pastoral Ministry Major (33 credits)
CM 250 Introduction to Counselling
CM 464 Pastoral Ministry Internship (12 credits)
PA 103 Leadership Coaching
PA 161 Introduction to Pastoral Ministry
PA 211 Passionate Preaching and Teaching
PA 314 Advanced Preaching or YO 224 Creative Teaching Methods
PA 372 Missional Leadership
PA 480 Topics in Pastoral Ministry
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
- Knowing and loving God through the power of the Holy Spirit in Word and Prayer.
- Modeling spiritual leadership and a well-managed life in singleness or marriage.
- Leverage Christ-centered creative communication strategies to reach the next generation.
- Serving the church and community by caring for the poor, the fatherless, the widow, the imprisoned, the oppressed, and the marginalized.
- Equipping the next generation of disciples in the gospel.
- Influencing the church and culture by being agents of transformation and resilience.
- Being godly stewards of our gifts, time, talent, and creation.
Program Tuition and Fees
I love Prairie because of its DNA of being Christ-Centred, Bible-Based, Discipleship-Directed and Mission-Mandated. Prairie has a rich integration of academics and spiritual formation. My job is a life calling—I exist to equip emerging missional leaders for the world’s greatest need. Every day I get to work, I don’t think of it as a job but fulfilling my God-given potential and calling. My biggest joy is seeing students discipled and being sent out to live their calling. Read More.