Issued March 15, 2020, at 8PM
Dear Prairie family,
After prayerful consideration, following the Provincial announcement to close K-12 and post-secondary schools this afternoon, we have decided that Prairie College will transition fully to online delivery to complete its semester.
Even since our update on Friday, the outlook and progression of this situation has changed dramatically. It is normal to feel anxious about the health, school and other implications of this COVID-19 virus. None of us could have predicted this outcome for the semester, however, as we face this unprecedented and unsettling time, remember that we do not have to fear the unknown because God is there. As we move forward, please know that you are cared for, and you are not alone. As decision-makers, we will continue to strive to provide the utmost in support, care and wisdom for the community as we walk through this time together.
For the next 24 hours, here’s what you need to know as a result of the special leadership meeting this evening:
- CLASSES: Classes are suspended on Monday March 16, 2020.
- INFO SESSION: The on-campus information/ Q&A session previously scheduled at 1PM in Parable Place is still planned. Please attend for further instructions. Location changed to North Auditorium.
- TRANSITION TO ONLINE: Classes will be made available online. A complete plan to address all aspects including academics, room and board, finances and transportation will be available by Tuesday.
If you’re a student:
- FOOD PLANS: Campus leaders are working with Chartwells to plan around the transition to online classes. For now, the dining hall is open. Please exercise social distancing and good hand hygiene when using dining services.
- DORMITORIES/DAVIDSON APT: Both will remain open until further notice. If a closure is necessary, ample time will be provided and support put in place.
- INTERNATIONAL & OUT OF PROVINCE STUDENTS: Supports will be made available to you as you transition back home at the end of the semester.
- MENTAL HEALTH: If you are struggling with mental health issues during this time, please speak to your DSD. Resources are available.
If you’re a staff or faculty member:
- CAMPUS OPEN: Per provincial guidelines, campus workplaces will remain open until further notice. We will continue to limit the spread of the virus through best practices and plan for continuity of critical services if/when illness strikes. If you are affected by childcare closures, please consult with your managing director for further instruction and to make alternative arrangements.
- GRADUATION: A special meeting of the board of directors is being held this week to discuss a possible postponement of April’s planned graduation. Please stay tuned for further updates.
Current Risk Level
As of this update, there are no cases at Prairie College. One student and one faculty member have been tested, and are in self-quarantine, but results are not yet available.
Cases in Alberta and Canada
The cases in Alberta have been travel-related and have been isolated to prevent further transmission.
According to AHS, “the worldwide risk is rising, the risk of contracting COVID-19 in Alberta is still low.”
We will continue to work closely with our partners at Alberta Health Services to monitor and manage the outbreak within our community.
If you require assistance during business hours, please call 403-443-3030. If you require medical assistance, please call 811.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we walk together through this testing time.
With love and prayer,
Mark Maxwell and the Prairie leadership team
“Do not be afraid to enter the cloud descending on your life, for God is in it. And the other side is radiant with His glory.” LB Cowman, Streams in the Desert on March 14