Certificate in Intercultural Studies
This one-year program will awaken your perspective to what God is doing around the world.
“The best parts of the Discover program was learning about the different religions and cultures, and being able to work alongside missionaries.”
Program at a Glance
What Makes This Program Different
As a student in this one-year program, you will have the opportunity to gain knowledge and experiences that will lay a foundation for future missions and international career opportunities.
We offer this program in partnership with organizations that are committed to addressing global needs around the world. Throughout the year, students will have 6 weeks of first-hand intercultural experience, which includes travels to 3 countries plus one month in rural Mozambique.
During the campus-based portion of the program, students will benefit from visiting cross-cultural ministries and exploring various people groups that are in Calgary and the surrounding region.
This unique first-year program will combine Bible training, discipleship, international travel and cross-cultural immersion to enlarge your worldview and show you first-hand what is happening in global missions today.
Our Students Say
The Discover program is really only the beginning. While it can be a year of transferable education, you can also continue onto the 2 year diploma, it is also the beginning of ANY of Prairie’s four year degrees.
• Our Intercultural Studies graduates go on to:
• Careers in a cross-cultural setting
• Overseas missions and ministries
• Missions education and English instruction
• Work with refugee population
• Communications, public policy, education and recreation fields
• Graduate Studies
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible & Theology (15 Credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels & Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
OT 112 Reading the Torah
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
Arts & Sciences (6 Credits)
HF 111 Thinking & Writing
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
Intercultural Studies (9 Credits)
CM 160 Intercultural Practicum
IS 140 World Religions
IS 257 Intercultural Competence and Lab
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
Bible and Ministry Training Objectives
- Gain understanding of both the Old and New Testaments, knowledge of major Christian doctrines and application of Theology. Understand the biblical basis for mission efforts and your role in the global church.
- Discover how to grow in faith by learning from one another including fellow students, communities of believers and church leaders.
- Recognize how God is working in the midst of difficult situations and how the North American church can follow and support national efforts
Cross Cultural Objectives
- Gain experience in intercultural work and ministry while working alongside educators, missionaries, leaders and pastors.
- Understand how major issues such as poverty, community development, evangelism and health care are being addressed in difficult situations.
- Increase cultural competence and sensitivity as you study the anthropology, communication, tradition, and social systems of other cultures and face the challenges of ethnocentrism, culture shock and cultural stress.
- Explore God’s diverse creation through touring cultural sites, national parks and other points of interest.
Partners have included PALM Ministry Association (Edmonton), and SAM Ministries.
Program Tuition and Fees
Program Specific Costs:
Discover students are charged a $4,200 program fee ($3,000 charged in the fall & $1,200 charged in winter).
Dr. Emma Karin Emgard
Emma Karin grew up in Sweden in a family who loved God, mission and travel. From the age of 5 she knew she wanted to be a missionary, and towards that goal she did her undergrad in business. She served with Youth With A Mission (YWAM) for 14 years. After a few years at Fuller Theological Seminary, she came to Canada in 2000 to teach at Prairie Graduate School. To date, she has lived in six nations and travelled to about 70 additional countries. Her desire is for students to not just see the world, but to discover and experience what God is doing today around the globe. Read More.