Discover: Certificate in Intercultural Studies
One-Year Program (30 Credits)
If you are wondering what to do for a year, enrol in Discover! During that year you will “discover” that we serve an amazing and good God.
Through different courses, you will learn about God’s plan for humanity, and the person, works, and words of Jesus Christ. You will get an overview of the basic beliefs of the Christian community, learn about and compare other religions to ours; and learn valuable skills of research and writing. And that’s just the first semester!
One evening every week we enjoy tea and snacks and talk about ministry. Missionaries always have interesting food!
You will learn about theory and actually doing ministry right here & over there by: weekly visits with seniors in a retirement home, interacting with New Canadians at a Centre for Newcomers in Edmonton for a few days, living in the middle of the Mozambique jungle working with the poor—helping a widow paint her house, weeding the garden of a pastor, teaching Bible and sports to first graders, tutoring high schoolers, working with VBS, maybe helping to build a mud hut, visiting very rural churches, and possibly killing a scorpion or two. Mostly you will remember meeting some amazing missionaries and local lovers of God. You will also spend a few days in South Africa, including a one-day safari and minister for a few days in a European city.
You receive 30 credits for your Discover year that transfers into all our 3 and 4-year programs.
Courses revolve around:
- Biblical literacy
- Addressing poverty today
- Cross-cultural preparation
- Compassion Ministry
- Church Planting
As a student in this one-year program, you will have the opportunity to gain knowledge and experiences that will lay a foundation for future missions and international career opportunities.
We offer this program in partnership with organizations that are committed to addressing global needs around the world. As a requirement of this program, students will have 6-7 weeks of first-hand intercultural experience, which will include a few days with a New Canadian centre, a few days in an European city, or possibly in Turkey, a few days in South Africa, including a visit to the apartheid museum, and a safari, and one month in rural Mozambique.
During the campus-based portion of the program, students will benefit from visiting cross-cultural ministries and exploring various people groups that are in Calgary and the surrounding region.
This unique first-year program will combine Bible training, discipleship, international travel and cross-cultural immersion to enlarge your worldview and show you first-hand what is happening in global missions today.
Bible and Ministry Training Objectives
- Gain understanding of both the Old and New Testaments, knowledge of major Christian doctrines and application of Theology. Understand the biblical basis for mission efforts and your role in the global church.
- Discover how to grow in faith by learning from one another including fellow students, communities of believers and church leaders.
- Recognize how God is working in the midst of difficult situations and how the North American church can follow and support national efforts
Cross Cultural Objectives
- Gain experience in intercultural work and ministry while working alongside educators, missionaries, leaders and pastors.
- Understand how major issues such as poverty, community development, evangelism and health care are being addressed in difficult situations.
- Increase cultural competence and sensitivity as you study the anthropology, communication, tradition, and social systems of other cultures and face the challenges of ethnocentrism, culture shock and cultural stress.
- Explore God’s diverse creation through touring cultural sites, national parks and other points of interest.
Partners have included PALM Ministry Association (Edmonton), and SAM Ministries.
- 4-year Bachelor of Arts in Intercultural Studies (B.A.I.S.)
- 4-year Bachelors of Arts in Intercultural Studies in Global Social Justice
- 9-month GlobeTREK internship
- Youth Ministry
- Pastoral Studies
- Practical Nursing
- Mission Aviation (depending on the program, not all credits will transfer).
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible & Theology (15 Credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels & Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
OT 112 Reading the Torah
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
Arts & Sciences (6 Credits)
HF 111 Thinking & Writing
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
Intercultural Studies (9 Credits)
CM 160 Intercultural Practicum
IS 140 World Religions
IS 257 Intercultural Competence and Lab
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.