Diploma in Digital Media
Turn your passion for photography, videography and graphic design into your career. Find your own creative voice and impact the world.
“The DM program taught me to find the voice of others and be able to share that voice in a unique and creative way that tells their story.“
Program at a Glance
What Makes This Program Different
Our program combines your faith with your career. Integrate biblical knowledge and personal application of the Christian faith into digital media.
Learn from instructors who are all professionals currently employed in the fields that they teach.
Students become well rounded professionals and receive training in three different areas including photography, videography and graphic design.
Students have the opportunity to travel with our International practicum at the end of their second year.
Our Students Say
See Mason's work at: http://www.masonunrau.com/
• are sought out professionals who are employable because they are well rounded in three areas.
• are entrepreneurs who build businesses to serve the church and society with their creative skills.
• continue at Prairie and obtain a 4-year degree in a variety of majors including Business Administration.
In this digital age, media is an expanding field with many different opportunities to impact people. The training and portfolio gained through Prairie’s Digital Media program can open doors to career and ministry opportunities in North America or around the world!
This program aspires to ignite and fan the flames of creativity in those interested in digital media. Starting from the foundations of communication and storytelling, this program not only strives for excellence in practical skills but encourages students to find their own creative voice and way that they can impact the world. They are guided from the fundamentals to advanced techniques in photography, professional photograph printing, graphic design and audio/video production, while also learning real-world applications and marketing. Students finish the program with a professional printed portfolio and website to showcase the work they create.
Additional Admissions Requirements
This program has limited enrollment and admission is competitive.
In addition to our regular admissions requirements applicants must submit a digital portfolio including:
• A short paragraph on why you want to be in Digital Media and any past experience with photography, videography, art, or design.
• 5 – 10 of the best photos you have taken
• 1 or 2 visual design pieces you have done, if you have any. This could include logos, posters, or drawings, etc.
• A video you have created which is one or two minutes in length.
All courses are worth 3 credits unless otherwise indicated.
Bible & Theology (15 credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels & Acts
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
Arts & Sciences (9 credits)
HF 111 Thinking & Writing
SS 156 Fundamentals of Design
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
Digital Media (36 credits)
CM 368 Digital Media Practicum
DM 111 Visual Design and Storytelling (1 credit)
DM 120 Introduction to Adobe Audition (2 credits)
DM 134 Fundamentals of Filmmaking & Premiere
DM 144 Fundamentals of Photoshop (2 credits)
DM 145 Fundamentals of Photography
DM 177 Portfolio 1 (1 credits)
DM 225 Digital Design & Publishing
DM 126 Introduction to Design Tools
DM 228 After Effects
DM 234 Advanced Filmmaking & Premiere (4.5 credits)
DM 244 Advanced Photoshop (2 credits)
DM 245 Advanced Photography
DM 262 Principles of Marketing (1.5 credits)
DM 277 Portfolio – Book/Website (1 credit)
Note: Courses may be under development to reflect changes and upgrades in technology and software. Actual courses may be slightly different than as published.
For course descriptions, see catalogue here.
- Achieve excellence in creative expression and visual storytelling based on an understanding and application of strong aesthetic principles.
- Develop a professional web and print portfolio for the purposes of soliciting future clients.
- Gain proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software applications (Bridge, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro).
- Have full comprehension of the advanced functions of a DSLR camera for photo and video.
- Demonstrate ability to use professional studio tools to enhance photographic and video productions.
- Experience practical application of learned skills through partnering projects with real-world clients.
- Practical application of digital media skill sets in mentorship with a professional instructor, in either an international or local practicum.
First Year Students:
• Laptop: New or up to 2 year old MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro with at least 8GB of RAM
• Camera: Canon* DSLR – minimum Rebel T5i. The camera body needs to have at least HD 1080p capabilities. We strongly recommend Canon’s full-frame bodies over the Rebel series, or the Canon R/R5/6 mirrorless full-frame camera.
• Lens: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS or EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS II lens is highly recommended. • Intervalometer (if you do not have one built into your camera)
• Memory card reader (necessary only if there are no compatible ports on your laptop for the connection cord your camera uses)
• “Student” subscription of the full version of Adobe Creative Cloud
• Two 4 TB (minimum) external portable hard drives
• Wacom Intuos tablet or better
• Tripod: one that can take both still and video heads
• Cheap 36″ collapsible reflector
Second Year Students (in addition to first year requirements):
• Flash with built-in radio receiver
• Radio transmitter for flash
• Light stand: 8′ minimum
• 45″ Umbrella or 24″ square soft box for flash photography
Prairie College qualifies for educational pricing with both Apple and Adobe, and both companies have time-sensitive pricing.
*The camera must be a Canon as the college has a number of Canon compatible accessories that digital media students can borrow and experiment with.
Program Tuition and Fees
Program Specific Costs:
Digital Media students are charged a $400 program fee. ($200 charged both Fall & Winter semesters)
As a grad of the Digital Media program and now a graphic designer for Prairie, I am familiar with the quality of instruction the students receive, the excellent portfolios they are able to produce, and the many opportunities they have to transform their education into a career that they love.
I enjoy meeting with the students and seeing them not only develop their practical skills, but also maturing in their own style and gaining confidence in sharing their talents with others. Read More.