Diploma in Digital Media
Turn your passion for photography, videography and graphic design into your career. Find your own creative voice and impact the world.
“The DM program taught me to find the voice of others and be able to share that voice in a unique and creative way that tells their story.“
Program at a Glance
What Makes This Program Different
Our program combines your faith with your career. Integrate biblical knowledge and personal application of the Christian faith into digital media.
Learn from instructors who are all professionals currently employed in the fields that they teach.
Students become well rounded professionals and receive training in three different areas including photography, videography and graphic design.
Students have the opportunity to travel with our International practicum at the end of their second year.
Our Students Say
See Mason's work at: http://www.masonunrau.com/
• are sought out professionals who are employable because they are well rounded in three areas.
• are entrepreneurs who build businesses to serve the church and society with their creative skills.
• continue at Prairie and obtain a 4-year degree in a variety of majors including Business Administration.
In this digital age, media is an expanding field with many different opportunities to impact people. The training and portfolio gained through Prairie’s Digital Media program can open doors to career and ministry opportunities in North America or around the world!
This program aspires to ignite and fan the flames of creativity in those interested in digital media. Starting from the foundations of communication and storytelling, this program not only strives for excellence in practical skills but encourages students to find their own creative voice and way that they can impact the world. They are guided from the fundamentals to advanced techniques in photography, professional photograph printing, graphic design and audio/video production, while also learning real-world applications and marketing. Students finish the program with a professional printed portfolio and website to showcase the work they create.
Additional Admissions Requirements
This program has limited enrollment and admission is competitive.
In addition to our regular admissions requirements applicants must submit a digital portfolio including:
• A short paragraph on why you want to be in Digital Media and any past experience with photography, videography, art, or design.
• 5 – 10 of the best photos you have taken
• 1 or 2 visual design pieces you have done, if you have any. This could include logos, posters, or drawings, etc.
• A video you have created which is one or two minutes in length.
- Achieve excellence in creative expression and visual storytelling based on an understanding and application of strong aesthetic principles.
- Develop a professional web and print portfolio for the purposes of soliciting future clients.
- Gain proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software applications (Bridge, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro).
- Have full comprehension of the advanced functions of a DSLR camera for photo and video.
- Demonstrate ability to use professional studio tools to enhance photographic and video productions.
- Experience practical application of learned skills through partnering projects with real-world clients.
- Practical application of digital media skill sets in mentorship with a professional instructor, in either an international or local practicum.
First Year Students:
• Laptop: New or up to 2 year old MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro with at least 16GB of RAM and must have at least one usb-c port.
• Camera: Canon* DSLR or mirrorless body with at least HD 1080p video capabilities. We strongly recommend Canon’s full-frame bodies over crop-frame sensor cameras.
• Lens: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS or EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS II lens is highly recommended.
• Intervalometer (if you do not have one built into your camera)
• Memory card reader (necessary only if there are no compatible ports on your laptop for the connection cord your camera uses)
• “Student” subscription of the full version of Adobe Creative Cloud
• Two 4 TB (minimum) external portable hard drives
• Wacom Intuos tablet or better, or iPad with compatible Apple Pencil
• Tripod: one that can take both still and video heads
• Inexpensive 36″ collapsible Reflector
• One TB Solid State Drive
Second Year Students (in addition to first year requirements):
• Flash with built-in radio receiver
• Radio transmitter for flash
• Light stand: 8′ minimum
• 45″ Umbrella or 24″ soft box for flash photography
Prairie College qualifies for educational pricing with both Apple and Adobe. Both companies have time-sensitive pricing.
*Your Laptop must be one of the types listed – no exceptions made.
*The camera must be a Canon as the college has a number of Canon compatible accessories that Digital Media students can take out on loan.
Program Tuition and Fees
Program Specific Costs:
Digital Media students are charged a $400 program fee. ($200 charged both Fall & Winter semesters)
Dr. Mark Jonah
The place and scope of graphic design, photography, and video in our culture is prevalent and undeniable. Surrounded by both the good and the bad in our culture (each having various definitions), where can someone go to be trained by solid industry professionals and at the same time be challenged in applying Christian faith to their craft? Right here at Prairie College! You will be pushed, prodded, and encouraged in learning the details of graphic design, photography, and video. You will be part of a class of like-minded students who will journey with you and your professors as you stretch and grow. I know that you will find a place in a community of visual artists, your classmates, who are seeking God and learning their craft. I look forward to seeing YOU here!