Diploma in Digital Media
Two-Year Program (60 Credits)
Prairie takes a unique approach to digital media training, intentionally integrating excellent instruction and practical skills with the Christian faith.
Courses revolve around:
- Learning photography, audio/video production, graphic design and more
- Developing in Christ-like character, recognizing your own strengths of ministry
- Challenging you to grow and learn about God’s Word
- Central to this program is a group of committed instructors and special guests who bring years of experience, technical skills and artistic ability to the classroom.
This program aspires to ignite and fan the flames of creativity in those interested in digital media. Starting from the foundations of communication and storytelling, this program not only strives for excellence in practical skills but encourages students to find their own creative voice and way that they can impact the world. They are guided from the fundamentals to advanced techniques in photography, graphic design and audio/video production, while also learning real-world applications and marketing. The professors are all professionals currently employed in the fields in which they teach. Students finish the program with a professional printed portfolio and website to showcase the work they create. Integrating biblical knowledge and personal application of the Christian faith into digital media is also a component which makes this program unique.
- Achieve excellence in creative expression and visual storytelling based on an understanding and application of strong aesthetic principles.
- Develop a professional web and print portfolio for the purposes of soliciting future clients.
- Gain proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software applications (Bridge, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro).
- Have full comprehension of the advanced functions of a DSLR camera for photo and video.
- Demonstrate ability to use professional studio tools to enhance photographic and video productions.
- Experience practical application of learned skills through partnering projects with real-world clients.
- Practical application of digital media skill sets in mentorship with a professional instructor, in either an international or local practicum.
All courses are worth 3 credits unless otherwise indicated.
Bible & Theology (15 credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels & Acts
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
Arts & Sciences (9 credits)
HF 111 Thinking & Writing
SS 156 Fundamentals of Design
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
Digital Media (36 credits)
CM 368 Digital Media Practicum
DM 111 Visual Design and Storytelling (1 credit)
DM 120 Introduction to Adobe Audition (2 credits)
DM 134 Fundamentals of Filmmaking & Premiere
DM 144 Fundamentals of Photoshop
DM 145 Fundamentals of Photography (2 credits)
DM 177 Portfolio 1 (1 credits)
DM 225 Digital Design & Publishing
DM 226 Introduction to Design Tools
DM 228 After Effects
DM 234 Advanced Filmmaking & Premiere (4.5 credits)
DM 244 Advanced Photoshop (2 credits)
DM 245 Advanced Photography
DM 262 Principles of Marketing (1.5 credits)
DM 277 Portfolio – Book/Website (1 credit)
Note: Courses may be under development to reflect changes and upgrades in technology and software. Actual courses may be slightly different than as published.
For course descriptions, see catalogue here.
- Desire to obtain training and experience for the digital media industry including photography, audio/video production, artistic layout and design, marketing.
- Would like to prepare for digital media in a local ministry or international missions/humanitarian NGO setting.
- Care for a greater understanding of God’s Word through biblical and theological training.
- Are in digital media work and would like formal education in digital media with an emphasis on biblical, theological and spiritual formation training.
- Desire to grow in their interpersonal and team leadership skills enabling them to be more successful in working with and leading others.
- Are second career persons looking for preparation in digital media.
Want to travel the world and use your passion for digital media? Through the international practicum, students have the opportunity to experience a different culture while utilizing their skills to create dynamic and unique additions to their portfolio of work.
In this digital age, media is an expanding field with many different opportunities to impact people. The training and portfolio gained through Prairie’s Digital Media program can open doors to career and ministry opportunities in North America or around the world! Once finished the two-year diploma, students may also wish to transfer to one of Prairie’s four-year Bachelor of Arts degrees.
You will be a given a skillset that will allow you to pursue careers in the following areas:
- Audio/Video Production
- Layout and Graphic Design
This program has limited enrolment and the admission is competitive.
Applicants must submit a digital portfolio including:
A short paragraph on why you want to be in Digital Media and any past experience with photography, videography, art, or design.
5 – 10 of the best photos you have taken
1 or 2 visual design pieces you have done, if you have any. This could include logos, posters, or drawings, etc.
A video you have created which is one or two minutes in length.
The portfolio can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1st Year Students:
New or up to 2 year old MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with at least 8GB of RAM
Canon* DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera body with HD 1080p video capabilities, minimum Rebel T5i. We strongly recommend a 7D or better such as a 7D, 6D, 5D Mark III or IV, or full frame Canon mirrorless, all with a Canon EF 24-105mm f4L IS lens for starters.
Intervalometer (if you do not have one built into your camera)
Memory card reader (necessary only if there are no compatible ports on your laptop for the memory card your camera uses)
“Student” subscription of the full version of Adobe Creative Cloud
Two 1 TB (minimum) external portable hard drives
Wacom Intuos tablet or better
Cheap 36″ collapsible reflector
2nd Year Students (in addition to 1st-year requirements):
Umbrella, or 24″ square soft box for flash photography
Prairie Bible Institute qualifies for educational pricing with both Apple and Adobe, and both companies have time-sensitive pricing.
*The camera must be a Canon as the college has a number of Canon compatible accessories (worth thousands of dollars) digital media students can borrow and experiment with. It’s simply too costly to stock accessories for multiple brands.
See Mason's work at: http://www.masonunrau.com/