Staff & Faculty BIO
- BA in Bible / Theology, Minor in NT Greek (Delta Epsilon Chi Honor Society), Multnomah University
- MA in Biblical Studies (summa cum laude), Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- PhD in Biblical Theology (Old Testament), Wheaton College
Carmen and her husband, Danny, have served overseas as missionaries with SIM. They have three children. Her dissertation is published under the title Bearing YHWH’s Name at Sinai: A Re-Examination of the Name Command of the Decalogue (Eisenbrauns). She has also released the results of her research in a book for lay people entitled Bearing God’s Name: Why Sinai Still Matters (IVP). Carmen is an active member of the Evangelical Theological Society, the Institute for Biblical Research, and the Society of Biblical Literature. But although she enjoys hanging out with other Bible geeks at conferences, her passion is to help the Bible come alive for laypeople. Carmen blogs at www.carmenjoyimes.blogspot.com and writes regularly for The Well, InterVarsity’s blog for women in the academy and professions. She enjoys speaking in church settings and for retreats and other events.
- Reading the Psalms with Augustine and Friends. Sacred Roots Christian Classics, vol. 1. The Urban Ministry Institute, 2020.
- Bearing God’s Name: Why Sinai Still Matters. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2019.
- Co-authored with Matt Ayars – Illustrated Psalms in Hebrew. GlossaHouse Illustrated Bible (Hebrew Edition). Wilmore, KY: GlossaHouse, forthcoming.
- “Metaphor at Sinai: Cognitive Linguistics in the Decalogue and Covenant Code.” Bulletin for Biblical Research, 29.3 (2019).
- “Between Two Worlds: The Functional and Symbolic Significance of the High Priestly Regalia.” In Dress and Clothing in the Hebrew Bible: “For All Her Household is Clothed in Crimson.” LHB/OTS. T&T Clark, 2019.
- “Metaphor in Biblical Law.” Didaktikos. Vol 2, Issue 2 (September 2018), 36-37.
- Bearing YHWH’s Name at Sinai: A Reexamination of the Name Command of the Decalogue. Bulletin for Biblical Research Supplements Series 19. University Park, PA: Eisenbrauns, 2018.
- Illustrated Exodus in Hebrew. GlossaHouse Illustrated Bible (Hebrew Edition). Wilmore, KY: GlossaHouse, 2017.
- “The Ten Commandments,” in God in the Details: A Biblical Survey of the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures. Edited by Tim Tsohantaridis and John Knox. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt, 2017.
- “The Decalogue,” in Discovering the Septuagint: A Guided Reader. Edited by Karen H. Jobes. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2016.
- Review of The Vision of the Priestly Narrative: Its Genre and Hermeneutics of Time, by Suzanne Boorer, Journal of Hebrew Scriptures, 2019.
- Review of What Kind of God?: Collected Essays of Terence E. Fretheim, edited by Michael J. Chan & Brent A. Strawn, Review of Biblical Literature, January 2017.
- Review of Patterns of Sin in the Hebrew Bible: Metaphor, Culture, and the Making of a Religious Concept, by Joseph Lam, Bulletin for Biblical Research 26.4 (2016).
- Review of Text, Time, and Temple: Literary, Historical and Ritual Studies in Leviticus, edited by Francis Landy, Leigh M. Trevaskis and Bryan D. Bibb, Bulletin for Biblical Research 26.1 (2016).
- Review of Prostitutes and Polygamists: A Look at Love, Old Testament Style, by David T Lamb, Themelios 41.1 (April 2016).
- “Praying the Psalms with Augustine and the Poor.” Presented at the ETS Annual Meeting, Nov 22, 2019.
- “Just Clothing?: The Function of Clothing Metaphors in Imprecatory Psalms.” Presented at the SBL Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, May 4, 2019.
- “Clothed in Majesty or Wrapped in Shame: Conceptual Metaphor in the Psalms.” Presented at the SBL Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, May 12, 2018.
- “Mapping Sinai: Corpus Linguistics and Biblical Law.” Presented at the SBL Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, May 6, 2017.
- “Metaphor at Sinai: Cognitive Linguistics in the Decalogue and Covenant Code.” Presented at the ETS Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, March 4, 2017. Also presented at the IBR Emerging OT Scholars Session, Nov 17, 2017.
- “Between Two Worlds: The Functional and Symbolic Significance of the High Priestly Regalia.” Presented at the SBL Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, May 21, 2016.
- “A people ‘Holy to YHWH’: High Priestly Regalia and the Israelite Vocation.” Presented at the SBL Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, March 28, 2015.
- “Imago Dei and Imitatio Dei: A Proposal for a Multi-Tiered Election in Biblical Theology.” Presented at the ETS Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, March 7, 2015.
- “Taking Exodus 20:7 in Vain: A History of the Misinterpretation of the Name Command.” Presented at the ETS and SBL Annual Meetings, November 20 and 23, 2013.
- “Treasured Possession’: The Development of an OT Theme and its Use in 1 Peter 2:9–10.” Presented at the IBR Annual Meeting, November 22, 2013
- “Psalm 24:4 and the Decalogue: A Mutually Illuminating Relationship?” Presented at the ETS Annual Meeting, November 17, 2011.
- “Eyes Besmeared: Jesus’ Re-enactment of Isaiah’s Mission in John 9.” Presented at the Southeast Regional ETS Meeting, March 19, 2010.