Staff & Faculty BIO
- BA in Bible / Theology, Minor in NT Greek (Delta Epsilon Chi Honor Society), Multnomah University
- MA in Biblical Studies (summa cum laude), Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- PhD in Biblical Theology (Old Testament), Wheaton College
Carmen and her husband, Danny, have served overseas as missionaries with SIM. They have three children. Her dissertation is published under the title Bearing YHWH’s Name at Sinai: A Re-Examination of the Name Command of the Decalogue (Eisenbrauns). She has also released the results of her reseach in a book for lay people entitled Bearing Gods Name: Why Sinai Still Matters (IVP). She has also produced an Illustrated Exodus in Hebrew, which presents the complete Hebrew text of Exodus in a graphic-novel style. Carmen is an active member of the Evangelical Theological Society, the Institute for Biblical Research, and the Society of Biblical Literature. But although she enjoys hanging out with other Bible geeks at conferences, her passion is to help the Bible come alive for laypeople. Carmen blogs at www.carmenjoyimes.blogspot.com and she writes regularly for The Well, a blog by InterVarsity for women in the academy and professions. She enjoys speaking in church settings and for retreats and other events.
- Bearing God’s Name: Why Sinai Still Matters. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, forthcoming.
- Co-authored with Matt Ayers – Illustrated Psalms in Hebrew. GlossaHouse Illustrated Bible (Hebrew Edition). Wilmore, KY: GlossaHouse, forthcoming.
- “Metaphor at Sinai: Cognitive Linguistics in the Decalogue and Covenant Code.” Bulletin for Biblical Research, 29.3 (2019).
- “Between Two Worlds: The Functional and Symbolic Significance of the High Priestly Regalia.” In Dress and Clothing in the Hebrew Bible: “For All Her Household is Clothed in Crimson.” LHB/OTS. T&T Clark, 2019.
- “Metaphor in Biblical Law.” Didaktikos. Vol 2, Issue 2 (September 2018), 36-37.
- Bearing YHWH’s Name at Sinai: A Reexamination of the Name Command of the Decalogue. Bulletin for Biblical Research Supplements Series 19. University Park, PA: Eisenbrauns, 2018.
- Illustrated Exodus in Hebrew. GlossaHouse Illustrated Bible (Hebrew Edition). Wilmore, KY: GlossaHouse, 2017.
- “The Ten Commandments,” in God in the Details: A Biblical Survey of the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures. Edited by Tim Tsohantaridis and John Knox. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt, 2017.
- “The Decalogue,” in Discovering the Septuagint: A Guided Reader. Edited by Karen H. Jobes. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2016.
- Review of Suzanne Boorer, The Vision of the Priestly Narrative: Its Genre and Hermeneutics of Time. Journal of Hebrew Scriptures, 2019.
- Review of Michael J. Chan & Brent A. Strawn, eds., What Kind of God?: Collected Essays of Terence E. Fretheim. Review of Biblical Literature, January 2017.
- Review of Joseph Lam, Patterns of Sin in the Hebrew Bible: Metaphor, Culture, and the Making of a Religious Concept. Bulletin for Biblical Research 26.4 (2016).
- Review of Francis Landy, Leigh M. Trevaskis and Bryan D. Bibb, eds., Text, Time, and Temple: Literary, Historical and Ritual Studies in Leviticus. Bulletin for Biblical Research 26.1 (2016).
- Review of David T. Lamb, Prostitutes and Polygamists: A Look at Love, Old Testament Style. Themelios 41.1 (April 2016).
- “Clothed in Majesty or Wrapped in Shame: Conceptual Metaphor in the Psalms.” Presented at the SBL Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, May 12, 2018
- “Mapping Sinai: Corpus Linguistics and Biblical Law.” Presented at the SBL Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, May 6, 2017.
- “Metaphor at Sinai: Cognitive Linguistics in the Decalogue and Covenant Code.” Presented at the ETS Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, March 4, 2017. Also to be presented at the IBR Emerging OT Scholars Session, Nov 17, 2017
- “Between Two Worlds: The Functional and Symbolic Significance of the High Priestly Regalia.” Presented at the SBL Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, Clothing in the Hebrew Bible Research Group, May 21, 2016
- “A people ‘Holy to YHWH’: High Priestly Regalia and the Israelite Vocation.” Presented at the SBL Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, Clothing in the Hebrew Bible Research Group, March 28, 2015
- “Imago Dei and Imitatio Dei: A Proposal for a Multi-Tiered Election in Biblical Theology.” Presented at the ETS Pacific Northwest Regional Meeting, March 7, 2015
- “Taking Exodus 20:7 in Vain: A History of the Misinterpretation of the Name Command.” Presented at the ETS and SBL Annual Meetings, November 20 and 23, 2013
- “Treasured Possession’: The Development of an OT Theme and its Use in 1 Peter 2:9–10.” Presented at the IBR Annual Meeting, November 22, 2013
- “Psalm 24:4 and the Decalogue: A Mutually Illuminating Relationship?” Presented at the ETS Annual Meeting, November 17, 2011
- “Eyes Besmeared: Jesus’ Re-enactment of Isaiah’s Mission in John 9.” Presented at the Southeast Regional ETS Meeting, March 19, 2010