Diploma in Christian Formation
“I learned to embrace the messiness of life. I don’t automatically try and fix people, but recognize that God is working and I am joining Him…”
Program at a Glance
What Makes This Program Different
Prairie’s Christian Formation Diploma will equip you to:
• Slow down: Cultivate a transforming friendship with God.
• Go deep: Effectively study and interpret Scripture; Begin to integrate theology and human behavior; Discern how God is redeeming your past and re-shaping you now.
• Give life: Become a soul-friend to disciple others in their journey.
Our Students Say
Our graduates go on to:
• Small Group Leader
• Camp Ministry Positions
• Continue on to Bachelor of Arts in Ministry – Christian Formation
• Transfer into another four year degree at Prairie
The Christian Formation program is an excellent choice for those considering any profession that works closely with people. The diploma better equips you to help other Christians in their walk with God. This is especially important for anyone involved in children’s ministry or youth discipleship. This would include local church, small group and camp ministry.
This program is also available as a 4-year Bachelors.
There are two separate 6-credit options in this diploma program.
Off campus: taken in the fall of year two
• Seven weeks at Frontier Lodge and the surrounding area in the foothills of the Rockies. This is a tech-free time of guided prayer (by means of readings, journaling, Scripture and focusing on weekly themes), group worship and discussion, and weekly outings facilitated by Frontier Lodge staff and Explore leaders, all aimed at the shaping of soul, mind and body.
On-campus: in year two
• Introduction to Counseling.
• General elective (3 credits).
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible and Theology Major (27 credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels and Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
NT 351 Reading Hebrews to Revelation
OR OT 453 Reading the Prophets
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
OT 343 Reading the Psalms and Wisdom Literature
ST 100 The Christian Life
OR ST 205 Freedom Session
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
TH 210 The God of the Gospel
Arts and Sciences Core (18 credits)
HF 111 Thinking and Writing
HF 231 History of Western Civilization I OR II
OR SC 230 History and Philosophy of Science
OR SC 314 Social Psychology
OR SC 317 Abnormal Psychology
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
SS 210 Introduction to Psychology
SS 261 Leadership Foundations
SS 311 Lifespan Development
Christian Formation Major (12 credits)
CF 1-241 Readings for Christian Formation (2 credits)
CF 212 Introduction to Evangelical Spiritual Theology
CF 290 Directed Study (1 credits)
CM 250 Introduction to Counseling
CF 263 Service/Learning
Frontier Lodge Option
CF 231 Prayer, Community, and Creation
OL 104 Introduction to Experiential Education (1.5 credits)
OL 136 Outdoor Leadership for Christian Formation (1.5 credits)
Electives (3 credits)
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
- Readings for Christian Formation is required each year a student is enrolled in the Diploma program.
- Directed Study CF 290 can be taken for 2 credits if a student joins the program in their second year.
Program Tuition and Fees
Dr. Justin Allison
Justin, Andrea, and their three young daughters have come to Prairie from Arkansas, their home state in the southern US. Justin taught in a local high school and served as a part-time pastor prior to his graduate education. Blooming from his love of classical and biblical studies, Justin’s doctoral thesis compared the ancient Epicurean philosopher Philodemus and the apostle Paul with respect to moral formation. Read More.