Diploma in Christian Formation
Two-Year Program (60 Credits)
Prairie’s Diploma in Christian Formation is designed to help you learn to discern God’s ways in your life and to disciple others.
This program is also available as a 4-year bachelor.
Courses revolve around:
- Developing skills in discipling others.
- Cultivating a heart for God.
- Bible and theology for understanding people.
Prairie’s Christian Formation Diploma will equip you to:
- Slow down: Cultivate a transforming friendship with God.
- Go deep: Effectively study and interpret Scripture; Begin to integrate theology and human behavior; Discern how God is redeeming your past and re-shaping you now.
- Give life: Become a soul-friend to disciple others in their journey.
There are two separate 6-credit options in this diploma program.
Off campus: taken in the fall of year two
- Seven weeks at Frontier Lodge and the surrounding area in the foothills of the Rockies. This is a tech-free time of guided prayer (by means of readings, journaling, Scripture and focusing on weekly themes), group worship and discussion, and weekly outings facilitated by Frontier Lodge staff and Explore leaders, all aimed at the shaping of soul, mind and body.
On-campus: in year two
- Introduction to Counseling.
- General elective (3 credits).
- This diploma better equips you to help other Christians in their walk with God. This is especially important for anyone involved in children’s ministry or youth discipleship. This would include local church, small group and camp ministry.
- As well, this diploma fully transfers into the Bachelor of Arts in Ministry Christian Formation degree, which gives you entrance to an M.A. in Counseling degree from many Christian seminaries.
- Small Group Leader
- Camp Ministry Positions
- Continue on to Bachelor of Arts in Ministry – Christian Formation
- Transfer into another four year degree at Prairie
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible and Theology Major (27 credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels and Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
OT 343 Reading the Psalms and Wisdom Literature
ST 100 The Christian Life
ST 103 Discernment and Discipleship
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
TH 210 The God of the Gospel
Arts and Sciences Core (18 credits)
HF 111 Thinking and Writing
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century World
SS 210 Introduction to Psychology
SS 261 Leadership Foundations
Arts and Sciences electives (6 credits)
Christian Formation Major (12 credits)
CF 1-241 Readings for Christian Formation (2 credits)
CF 212 Introduction to Evangelical Spiritual Theology
CF 290 Directed Study (1 credits)
CM 250 Introduction to Counseling
SC 230 History and Philosophy of Science
Frontier Lodge Option
CF 231 Prayer, Community, and Creation
OL 104 Introduction to Experiential Education (1.5 credits)
OL 136 Outdoor Leadership for Christian Formation (1.5 credits)
Electives (3 credits)
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
- Readings for Christian Formation is required each year a student is enrolled in the Diploma program.
- Directed Study CF 290 can be taken for 2 credits if a student joins the program in their second year.
Without a pole star to navigate by, we are all lost at sea—until we find our bearings in Jesus Christ through Holy Scripture, the true story of redemption in Christ that redeems each of our personal stories.
In an age of rapid and unsettling change, we can become persons who learn to slow down, go deep, and give life."