Bachelor's of Business Administration (Minor in Outdoor Leadership)
Four-Year Program (120 Credits)
Prairie is excited to announce that the Bachelor’s of Business Administration with a minor in Outdoor Leadership program will be launched in Fall 2019!
This degree couples together the strength of Prairie’s Explore program in developing leaders with the new Business program’s emphasis on preparing students for Christ-centered entrepreneurship and small business employment.
Students will learn how to conduct business like Jesus would conduct business. It’s why every student in the BBA will study the entire Bible during their degree. Society is in need of well equipped, disciples of Christ to live out both the great commandment and the great commission through business.
Through spending over 28 weeks in the beautiful Rocky Mountains developing the ability to lead and teach other through outdoor adventure experiences. You’ll gain valuable skills in leading teams through challenging situations, solving real problems and working through conflict to create high performing teams. Indispensable skills in both business or outdoor leadership.
Come join us to learn do business with God and do business for good.
Who is this program for?
- Business Leaders: outdoor training, business classes, and intentional internships provide the context for rigorous and deep discipleship, character formation, and leadership development regardless of what industry you want to work in.
- Outdoor Entrepreneurs and Business People: this program will develop skills necessary for meaningful work at organizations in the outdoor industry.
By the end of the program students will be able to:
- Express the Biblical principles and Kingdom realities of engaging in business as a disciple of Christ.
- Contribute to solving real business problems in a wide variety of business disciplines.
- Communicate ideas, plans and information clearly, concisely and persuasively.
- Develop and practice a personal philosophy of Kingdom business
- Design a successful business venture
- Develop basic competency in a wide variety of outdoor adventure disciplines
- A well formulated and practiced view of leadership
- The ability to lead others in a transformational way through an experience
- The ability to develop high performance teams that can thrive in challenging circumstances
All courses are three credits unless shown otherwise.
Bible and Theology Major (30 credits)
NT 112 Reading the Gospels and Acts
NT 221 Reading Paul’s Letters
NT 351 Reading Hebrews to Revelation
OT 112 Reading the Torah
OT 221 Reading the Historical Books
OT 343 Reading the Psalms and Wisdom Literature
OT 453 Reading the Prophets
ST 100 The Christian Life
TH 100 Introduction to Christian Theology
TH 210 The God of the Gospel
Arts and Sciences Core (36 credits)
AS 400 Integrative Seminar
HF 111 Thinking and Writing
HF 231 History of Western Civilization I
HF 232 History of Western Civilization II
SC 230 History and Philosophy of Science
SS 170 Christianity in the 21st Century
SS 210 Introduction to Psychology
SS 261 Leadership Foundations
Arts and Sciences electives (6 credits)
Arts and Sciences elective 300 level
Business Administration Major (36 credits)
BU 105 Organizational Health and Performance
BU 111 Managerial Accounting
BU 220 Sales and Marketing
BU 235 Managerial Economics
BU 316 Corporate Finance
BU 350 Governance and Law
BU 360 Theology of Business
BU 430 Business Analytics (1 credit)
BU 443 Missional Entrepreneurship and Strategy
CM 482 International Business Internship (12 credits)
Outdoor Leadership Minor (18 credits)
OL 104 Intro to Experiential Education (1.5 credits)
OL 116 Wilderness Advanced First Aid (1.5 credits)
OL 134 Outdoor Leadership (1.5 credits)
OL 151 Outdoor Programming (1.5 credits)
OL 248 Teaching Through Adventure
OL 332 Philosophy of Group Facilitation
For course descriptions, see our catalogue here.
Students have the opportunity to participate in a Business specific Globetrek experience. The Globetrek experience includes 6 months of travel visiting 4 continents, at least 12 countries, and meeting numerous people groups. This experience includes a four-month business internship that is cross-cultural and Kingdom focused.
Students will also have the option of completing their internship experience in a international context.
An optional trip to Asia is offered called “Adventure Tourism in a Cross Cultural Context.”
- Completely unique way to develop as a leader and gain business training
- 28 weeks of experiential, hands on, outdoor leadership training
- An Entrepreneurial and Kingdom-Centric business program with an international perspective.
- Deep level of emphasis and care in your personal development in discipleship and career
Students in the BBA minor in Outdoor Leadership will have the skills and experience to:
- Start and lead their own business
- Be employed in small businesses in a variety of disciplines and industries
- Find work in outdoor related organizations and businesses
- Gain employment in entry-level placements in traditional business fields and disciplines (banking, marketing, accounting, etc)
- Work for NGO or Non-Profit organizations
- Provide leadership for wilderness and recreation non-profits like camps and other outdoor related organizations
Students wishing to further their education will be well prepared to go onto complete:
- A Masters in Business Administration,
- A Master’s in Divinity,
- Graduate level education focused on Experiential Education, Leadership or other Outdoor related fields
- Graduate level education further focused on a specific business discipline (leadership, accounting, marketing, finance, etc)