Diploma in Digital Media
Two-Year Program (60 Credits)
Courses revolve around:
Central to this program is a group of committed instructors and special guests who bring years of experience, technical skills and artistic ability to the classroom.
Digital Media: In Depth
This program aspires to ignite and fan the flames of creativity in those interested in digital media. Starting from the foundations of communication and storytelling, this program not only strives for excellence in practical skills but encourages students to find their own creative voice and way that they can impact the world. They are guided from the fundamentals to advanced techniques in photography, graphic design and audio/video production, while also learning real-world applications and marketing. The professors are all professionals currently employed in the fields in which they teach. Students finish the program with a professional printed portfolio and website to showcase the work they create. Integrating biblical knowledge and personal application of the Christian faith into digital media is also a component which makes this program unique.
The Diploma in Digital Media is for those who:
• Desire to obtain training and experience for the digital media industry including photography, audio/video production, artistic layout and design, marketing.
• Would like to prepare for digital media in a local ministry or international missions/humanitarian NGO setting.
• Care for a greater understanding of God’s Word through biblical and theological training.
• Are in digital media work and would like formal education in digital media with an emphasis on biblical, theological and spiritual formation training.
• Desire to grow in their interpersonal and team leadership skills enabling them to be more successful in working with and leading others.
• Are second career persons looking for preparation in digital media.
International Practicum Opportunities
Want to travel the world and use your passion for digital media? Through the international practicum, students have the opportunity to experience a different culture while utilizing their skills to create dynamic and unique additions to their portfolio of work.
In this digital age, media is an expanding field with many different opportunities to impact people. The training and portfolio gained through Prairie’s Digital Media program can open doors to career and ministry opportunities in North America or around the world! Once finished the two-year diploma, students may also wish to transfer to one of Prairie’s four-year Bachelor of Arts degrees.
1. Achieve excellence in creative expression and visual storytelling based on an understanding and application of strong aesthetic principles.
2. Develop a professional web and print portfolio for the purposes of soliciting future clients.
3. Gain proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software applications (Bridge, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere Pro).
4. Have full comprehension of the advanced functions of a DSLR camera for photo and video.
5. Demonstrate the ability to use professional studio tools to enhance photographic and video productions.
6. Experience practical application of learned skills through partnering projects with real-world clients.
7. Practical application of digital media skill sets in mentorship with a professional instructor, in either an international or local practicum.
This program is limited to 20 students each year. Interested students should apply early.
Applicants must submit a digital portfolio including:
- A short paragraph on why they want to be in Digital Media and any past experience with photography, videography, art or design
The portfolio can be submitted to email@example.com.
All courses are worth 3 credits unless otherwise indicated.
Bible & Theology (15 credits)
Arts & Sciences (9 credits)
Digital Media (36 credits)
Note: Courses may be under development to reflect changes and upgrades in technology and software. Actual courses may be slightly different than as published.
For course descriptions, see catalogue here.
Hardware & Software Requirements
1st Year Students:
2nd Year Students (in addition to 1st-year requirements):
Prairie Bible Institute qualifies for educational pricing with both Apple and Adobe, and both companies have time-sensitive pricing.
*Canon because the school has a number of Canon accessories (worth thousands of dollars) digital media students can borrow and experiment with. It's simply too costly to stock accessories for multiple brands.
Crystal Gillespie Program Coordinator
As a grad of the Digital Media program and now a graphic designer for Prairie, I am familiar with the quality of instruction that the students receive, the excellent portfolios they are able to produce, and the many opportunities they have to transform their education into a career that they love.
I enjoy meeting with the students and seeing them not only develop their practical skills but also maturing in their own style and gaining confidence in sharing their talents with others.
You will be a given a skillset that will allow you to pursue careers in the following areas:
Getting the shot
Photo shoot on the roof
Digital Media Class
Inside the Loft
Digital Media International Practicum
Quite simply, I owe almost everything I know about professional photography to Ron. Not only was he my instructor throughout college, but also a mentor. From working as his personal assistant on photo-shoots, to sitting in class listening to him passionately teach invaluable information, I highly respect him and the imagery he produces. Ron’s impressive client list directly reflects how his photography has impacted societies around the globe and initiated genuine change for the better.
See Mason's work at: http://www.masonunrau.com/